GS stands for Greener Shopping
Welcome to our Greener Shopping hub. We’re dedicated to being a responsible organisation that looks after the environment, our employees and our community. Learn more about our promises and catch up on the latest initiatives and goings on, here.
GS stands for Sustainability
We have a dedicated and passionate team of sustainability champions at the centre who work hard to ensure we are meeting the targets of our sustainability charter. Below are some of the projects we have either implemented or are in progress:
– Our amazing cleaning team at GS now use chemical-free cleaning products, allowing us to be friendlier to the environment.
– We’re constantly working to reduce single-use plastic. We’ve installed mains fed water machines across our staffing areas and provided all 80+ of our dedicated staff with branded reusable water bottles, with plans to extend this to our customers by installing mains fed water machines on the mall.
– We’re also implementing plastic free vending by changing plastic bottles to aluminium cans
– Working with our retailers, we are implementing a waste strategy to allow retailers to recycle more effectively by having a better understanding of segregation of waste. We’re also Implementing waste recycling bins throughout the mall to allow our customers to get involved in recycling responsibly.
– We are working with our independent retailers to improve their EPC ratings; this allows us to ensure each retailer has an EPC rating above the national minimum standard. We have an improvement plan in place to assist retailers who fall below the minimum requirement. We also assess new retailer shop-fit proposals to ensure any tenant works contribute to improving the energy rating.
– We are implementing a green travel plan for staff and retailers, working with local public transport providers, as well as looking at the feasibility of having electric charging points in our car parks
– We’re dedicated to responsible consumption, installing LED lighting across the whole building, PIR sensors in all back of house areas, changing controls for energy consumption equipment for more efficient use and reducing our water consumption by harvesting rainwater and isolating little-used taps.
– We are working with our suppliers to support our sustainable vision for the future by understanding and discussing with them sustainable options for products and services
– We are looking to add more biodiversity to the centre by introducing pollinator plants within our existing garden terrace and flower beds on Midland Way, building bird and bat nests and bee and bug hotels, planting pots on the roof areas for bees and butterflies and incorporating biophilia to the inside of the building (oxygen generating plants within staff offices and greenery on the mall).